Frequently asked questions
Who participates in Buckeyes First?
- Buckeyes First is open to all first-year students that are first in their families to attend college. You are considered a first-generation student if neither parent earned a four-year degree, even if your parents attended four-year institutions or completed two-year associate degrees. You are also considered first-generation if your older siblings attended/graduated from college, but your parents did not.
How many students can attend Buckeyes first?
- Buckeyes First accommodates 70 first-year students.
What is the cost of the program?
- The cost for Buckeye First is $50 and includes fees, food, transportation, lodging and all activities during the program. Scholarships are available to cover a portion of the cost. Contact email@example.com for questions or concerns.
How do I apply for Buckeyes First?
- The Buckeyes First application will go live on Friday, May 3. Apply online by Friday June 21.
Do I need special equipment?
- For the camping trip, Summit Vision will provide all the equipment for camping activities such as high ropes, zip lining, canoeing etc. Students are responsible for bringing equipment such as footwear and comfortable clothing for rain, cold and warm weather.
Do I need outdoor adventure experience?
- Summit Vision, which is the site for part of Buckeyes First, welcomes all first-year students of all camping experiences. Participants will be engaging in various physical activities; however, modifications and alternatives for activities will be available as needed. If you have any concerns about participating in Buckeyes First's physical activities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where and when do I check in for the program?
- Students will arrive and check in for the program on the Ohio State campus. Specific locations and instructions will be communicated to selected participants prior to their arrival date.
Will I be able to move into my residence hall early?
- As a part of attending Buckeyes First, students will move into their permanent residence hall on the first day of the program. The fee to move in early is included in your registration. If a participant does not participate in all Buckeyes First scheduled activities, students will be required to pay their own early move-in fees. Please bring all move-in materials for your residence hall the day you arrive.
Will I be able to participate in the OWL program as well?
- Yes. All Buckeyes First participants are automatically signed up to participate in the OWL program. This program will take place after Buckeyes First, from August 15-18.
Will I be able to participate in other early arrival/summer bridge programs and still attend Buckeyes First?
- Yes. However, early arrival program dates cannot overlap with the Buckeyes First program. The Buckeyes First program will take place from August 11-14. Participants are required to attend all official scheduled events for Buckeyes First. All Buckeyes First participants are automatically signed up to participate in the OWL program (August 15-18) following the completion of Buckeyes First. If participants are interested in attending a different early arrival program after Buckeyes First, please contact email@example.com
What if I cancel my reservation?
- If you are no longer able to attend Buckeyes First, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellations received after July 20 are non-refundable.
What if I can’t afford the registration deposit?
- First Year Experience offers need-based scholarships of $50 to cover participant fees. To be considered for a scholarship, please send a letter to email@example.com detailing your financial need and your interest in attending Buckeyes First.